Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My heart weeps...

This past weekend was a really sad one for me. As you are well aware, I am addicted to tennis. I am also a HUGE fan of Andy Roddick. In past years, Roddick has continued to disappoint, losing in early rounds of Grand Slam events. One thing that has impressed me about Roddick is his determination to not give up. Both this Wimbledon's final, he had a 2-18 record against Federer. OUCH. Yet, he continues to work so hard to find a way to beat him. This year was particularly exciting as Roddick beat Andy Murray in the semi-finals.

Well, those of you who know anything about tennis know that Roddick lost to Federer 7-5, 6-7, 6-7, 6-3, 14-16. He lost 14-16 in the fifth set. I seriously wanted to cry.



The following quote was said of Andy on Tennis.com:

"Roddick may not be a champion on the order of Sampras or McEnroe or Connors, but none of those guys could match the breadth of his personality, or his unpretentious humanity. His performance on Sunday, first in his actions and then in his astoundingly stoical, winning words before a worldwide audience, was inspiring. It really did make me proud to be an American."

I agree. I know that it is just a "dumb" game and doesn't really matter in the scheme of life, but I too have failed in aspects of my life and my heart went out to Roddick. Watching him play the match of his life and watching him give everything that he possibly could really was inspiring. I really don't know the status of whether or not Roddick is really a good person or not, but I think that often in life, the best people come in second place. But, the process changes us. I hope that I continue to recognize those that aren't always the obvious champions.

3 comments:

Lindsay Johnson said...

Profound. Seriously. I wish I knew more about the guy but I love that quote. Being athletic isn't everything.

Was it cool knowing you've been to Wimbledon?

MisterandMissesLem said...

love your last paragraph. GOOD POST!

NJ said...

Ray, first I have tell you a little story which explains the re-finding of your blog today.

Since the Steelers open their season tonight at home (remember we live in Pittsburgh), and we're going to win the Superbowl again this year, PUMP-UP music was the only genre to be found playing on the radio this morning. While driving the final feet to my parking spot the song came on and instantly I could see YOU singing and dancing the words, "Let's get it started! HA! [or is it HOT?] Let's get it started here! Let's get it started! HA! Let's get it started here!" Wow, it brought a smile to my face like few things can as the workday encroaches on me! THUS, I had to find your blog again and reconnect with our good friend Ray.

Second, I'm loving your writing. Wish I could be clever and concise like you.

Third, Tyler is a HUGE Andy Roddick fan. I can't wait to show him this post - he's going to LOVE it. What do you think of his heartbreak loss at the Open? We were pretty sad for him again. I want to hear your analysis... maybe another post?