Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Who is the most selfish?

I am a member of a club called, "The Road Less Traveled." We meet weekly for inspirational activities, speeches, and discussions pertaining to the fact that we are all lost, confused, and vulnerable. Obviously, this meeting is highly satyrical and extremely entertaining. My favorite part of the meeting comes when my friend, Tom, leads a weekly discussion on emotions. Tom is the Emotions Coach for the club and he usually starts with "I feel ______ when I...." He usually inserts a word like "alone" or "afraid" or "idolized". His goal is to bring us down only to bring us higher.

Well, this past week was, in my opinion, the best week so far. We started off with our emotions and then Katherine, the Show-and-Tell Coordinator, lead us in a game where we split into two teams. We then would pick a team member to kneel on the ground with a blanket dividing the two teams. That person would then wait for the blanket to fall and would have to yell the name of the other person kneeling, followed by "I love you more than you love me!"

After this game, we ended up screaming at the top of our lungs and in my case, spitting all over Hillary, we moved on to the main activity of the night. Travis and Mindy had taken great care to create a low-budget "game of life" for us to play. We split up into couples and then we each given an occupation with certain skills. I, of course, was a Fire Dancer. We moved on and picked sticky-notes telling us certain things that would happen in our lives, like being famous but waking up and it was a dream, or in Whitney's case...become a murderer and thief.

Anyway, as the game escalated and everyone began to feel the weight of "life", I was the last one to pick a sticky-note...the dreaded sticky-note. I read slowly and out-loud that everyone was going to die and I could take 6 of the people in the room to an island with me and we would survive. Well, that means that I would have to choose 2 people to die. I carefully weighed the different skills and goals that each member of the group possessed, some of which included: teaching at Hogwartz skills, fire dancing skills, ventriloquist skills, and swimming like a dolphin skills, among many many others.

When, it came down to it, I chose Jordan and Whitney to die. Whitney was a murderer and a thief, so that goes without saying. Jordan was an animal rights activist and wouldn't let us kill animals to stay alive, so I had to leave him behind. The remaining survivors then took turns picking new sticky-notes. They would read a sticky-note and it would say that they would die if someone with certain skills wasn't alive to save them. Of course, I picked the wrong people and one by one everyone died off. It came down to Tom and I. The last sticky-note said that the bird flu was striking our island and there was only one vaccine available and it was hidden someone in the room. The quest for who is more selfish between Tom and I ensued. We ran to the kitchen and pushed each other out of the way as we search fruitlessly for the vaccine. Tom found the vaccine hidden in a bag of chips. Luckily, I caught up with him before he actually got the vaccine in his hand. So....a 5 minute wrestling match ensued. And who proved to be the most selfish? ME.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

that was so funny!

Whitney said...

Raymon, I am still laughing hysterically about this moment in my life. Thank you for putting it in word form.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Heck!! I should never choose studying over "The Road Less Traveled" guess I learned my lesson.

Kate said...

That was a good night... except for when I died.

Hallie said...

Dang it I left during the wrong semester that road less traveled thing sounds like what i need.